As sales professionals, we know that continuous learning is key to advancing our careers. Whether it's sales training, personal development, or reinforcing existing knowledge, there are countless resources available online. One of the most popular and impactful resources for sales professionals is TED Talks.
But with over 3,000 talks in various categories and languages, it's challenging to know which TED Talks are the best for sales professionals. That's why we've curated a list of the top 10 TED Talks that every sales professional should watch. Let's dive in!
1. How Great Leaders Inspire Action – Simon Sinek (💡 Hints & Tips)
Simon Sinek's talk is a must-watch for both salespeople and leaders alike. He emphasizes the importance of starting with your "why" when presenting an idea, a company, or even yourself. By leading with your belief, you can make your message more compelling and resonate with your audience on a deeper level.
Next time you're on a sales call or networking event, try starting with your "why" and observe the difference it makes in the reaction you receive.
2. Your Body Language May Shape Who You Are – Amy Cuddy
We've all heard the saying, "How you say it is just as important as what you say." In this talk, Amy Cuddy introduces the concept of "power posing" and its ability to increase confidence and success. By using power posing, sales professionals can enhance their communication skills and present themselves as more confident and distinct to prospects. This can significantly improve the outcome of meetings, deals, and overall success in sales.
3. How to Speak so That People Want to Listen – Julian Treasure (👔 Business Insight)
Effective communication is essential for salespeople, especially when interacting with C-level prospects, clients, peers, and managers. Julian Treasure's talk provides valuable techniques and tactics to grab attention and make your prospects genuinely interested in listening to you. These skills can greatly enhance your ability to captivate an audience and master the art of persuasion.
4. 10 Ways to Have a Better Conversation – Celeste Headlee (👔 Business Insight)
In today's digital age, conversation skills are becoming increasingly rare. However, salespeople still heavily rely on verbal communication. Celeste Headlee shares ten steps for facilitating better conversations, including actionable tactics for dealing with someone who holds an opposing opinion. These skills are particularly useful when handling objections during sales calls.
💡 Hints & Tips
Surprisingly, "givers" make up both the highest and lowest percentage of revenue producers among salespeople. By understanding why this is the case, you can leverage certain personality traits to enhance your sales performance.
5. Are You a Giver or a Taker? – Adam Grant
Adam Grant's talk examines the personality types that contribute the most to sales success. Surprisingly, "givers" make up both the highest and lowest percentage of revenue producers among salespeople. By understanding why this is the case, you can leverage certain personality traits to enhance your sales performance.
6. Why the Secret to Success is Setting the Right Goals – John Doerr
We all know that goal-setting is essential for sales success, but it's equally important to ensure we're setting the right goals. John Doerr shares the goal-setting system used by influential organizations such as Google, Intel, and Bono. This talk will help you focus on the outcomes that truly matter and drive your sales performance.
7. Don’t Fail Fast-Fail Mindfully – Leticia Gasca
In sales, facing rejection is inevitable. While the 'fail fast' mentality has gained popularity, Leticia Gasca encourages us to discuss our failures and learn from them mindfully. By embracing failure and understanding the lessons it offers, you can grow and improve as a sales professional. This talk sheds light on the importance of discussing failures and finding growth opportunities within them.
8. Why We Choke Under Pressure and How to Avoid It – Sian Leah Beilock
Sales professionals often find themselves in high-pressure situations, where the ability to perform is crucial. However, it's not uncommon for salespeople to choke under pressure. Cognitive scientist Sian Leah Beilock explains why this happens and provides strategies to identify and avoid choking. By implementing these techniques, you can maintain your performance and excel in high-stakes situations.
9. The Little Risks You Can Take to Increase Your Luck – Tina Seelig
Many believe that successful salespeople are just luckier than others. Tina Seelig challenges this notion and encourages taking proactive steps to increase your chances of getting "lucky." By stepping out of your comfort zone, taking more risks, and adopting an open mindset, you can create more opportunities for success.
10. 6 Tips for Building Your Confidence – Emily Jaenson
Confidence is key in sales, especially during prospecting, presentations, and client interactions. Emily Jaenson provides practical tips for building confidence, such as focusing on personal strengths, setting achievable goals, and seeking feedback. By implementing these strategies, sales professionals can enhance their performance, foster deeper client relationships, and solidify their self-belief.
While the top 10 TED Talks are essential for sales professionals, there are a few more worth mentioning:
- How Great Leaders Take on Uncertainty – Anjali Sud & Stephanie Mehta: Embracing uncertainty is crucial for salespeople in a changing workplace and market conditions.
- Great Leadership Is A Network, Not A Hierarchy – Gitte Fredrickson: This talk explores a network-based leadership model that promotes collaboration and innovation within sales teams.
- How to Outthink Your Competition — With a Lesson from Sports – Rasmus Ankersen: Ankersen emphasizes the importance of a growth mindset, unconventional strategies, and pushing boundaries to stay ahead in sales.
- How to Find Work You Love – Scott Dinsmore – Dinsmore’s talk inspires sales professionals to pursue their passions and find success by aligning their careers with their interests.
Remember, this list is just a starting point. If there's a sales TED Talk that has made an impact on your career and isn't on this list, we'd love to hear from you. Reach out and share your favorite sales TED Talks!